Got a few thoughts bouncing around inside my head and I wanted to get them out. So, here they are.

1. Why do some people have to be so negative about things all the time?

I have been conducting training classes at work all week. We've got between 25 and 30 people doing the same job, but no one does it the same way. There's no standard procedure for that individual tasks that they do on a weekly basis. That's not very good when you're trying to train a new employee, or if you have someone who changes teams (which we had this week).

So, my department has spent the better part of the last 6-8 weeks meeting with representatives from each team to find out how people on their team do things and getting suggestions on how to make things better, run smoother, or save time. We took their suggestions and drew up what we called "Best Practices" and we unveiled them to the staff this week.

My class on Monday was great. They had a few questions, but nothing that I couldn't answer (or find out the answer). But my classes on Tuesday and Wednesday couldn't have been more opposite. The negativity and resistance to any kind of change in procedure or process was blatantly obvious. If it wasn't smirks and dirty looks glaring back at me, it was questions being asked with a tone of voice that didn't hide the fact that they weren't happy. After going over one of the biggest changes (which I thought would have received the most positive feedback), I was asked, "You mean now I have to walk from this room to that room?" Ummmm, yeah. You have to walk your lazy butt from one room to another to make copies. Is that too much to ask? Maybe it was.

I realize that some people don't handle change that well. I'm one of them. I don't like change. Not to the point that I fear it, but I do like my routines a lot. But I also know that when things change (especially at my job), I don't push back and resist. I suck it up and do it because it's my job and that's what I need to do. I also don't backbite and badmouth the person who asked me to make the change. But that's me. Maybe I'm just a different breed of cat.

2. Journey - Can You Tell the Difference?

I bought my first CD in who-knows-how long the other night. It's the new CD by Journey, called "Revolution". It's a 3-disc set with one disc of new material, one disc of their classic hits re-recorded with their new lead singer, Arnel Pineda, and a third disc - a DVD of Journey in concert. I'll be honest - I haven't even listened to the new stuff yet. I put in the "classics" CD and was amazed. If I didn't know that Journey had a new lead singer, I'd have sworn that it was Steve Perry singing. This new guy sounds just like him! The songs sound great. They're touring this summer with Heart and Cheap Trick. Might be a good show.

3. Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

Graham and I got a PS2 for Christmas and we both have enjoyed playing it. He loves to play games like Meet the Robinsons, Larry-Boy and the Case of the Bad Apple, and The Incredibles. Mostly, I love the sports games. I took my Virginia Tech Hokies through the college football season undefeated and beat those couch-burners from West Virginia in the national championship. I've got the Pittsburgh Steelers at 17-0 and one game away from the Super Bowl (Roethlisberger threw for 60 TD's - including being injured for the last 2.5 games of the regular season. And Heath Miller catches EVERYTHING thrown his way!)

But I want one of the music games, and I can't decide whether to get Guitar Hero or Rock Band. So, any input on which one is better is appreciated. I looked at the songlists for the new GH game featuring Aerosmith and for RB. Both have good songlists, but I think Rock Band has more songs that I know/like. I'd love to see an 80's version like GH did. So, which one should I get?

That's all the randomness for tonight. Peace out, homeys!!!

1 comments:

Jason said...

Hey Zane, I just saw your posting from a couple of weeks ago about your training class. It's funny that you wrote about that. I just read something a few weeks ago when preparing for a training class that gave some suggestions for situations like you described. You may have even tried this before. An effective way to handle negativity and bad vibes with adults is to stop the class, close your book or materials, pull up a stool, table, or chair, and change your posture. Say to the group "I'm sensing some resistance or that you have some strong feelings about what we're discussing. Let's talk about it. Tell me your thoughts." Maybe write them down or if it's a larger group and you have the ability, flip chart or dry board their thoughts. This way, they feel like they are being heard and not being given orders to do something new (very important in Adult Learning Theory). Once you know what their concerns are, each one can be addressed as you cover the material you had intended to cover although you'll probably cover it in a slightly different way than you had planned. But at the same time you get the point across and the goal for change that the company has is met.

As for the video games. . . I've never played either. But I have heard of Guitar Hero. So I'll vote for that one!

Take care and have a great week!
Jason